Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wannabe Writers #7

Wannabe Writers is a meme created by Sarah of Confessions of the Un-published!

One of my goals right now is to move my literary ambitions out of the box and onto the shelf, by which I mean that I no longer want to ignore how much I enjoy writing. I love the idea of this meme, and I'll quote from Sarah's post here:

I often find myself searching the web for information during my struggles as a new writer. So I wanted to start a place where us future young-adult authors can come together to ask those questions, share our stories, and get feedback.

I'm going to be offline for the day, but I will read your lovely comments and get back to y'all on your blogs ASAP Monday. :-)

Where I am in the writing process:  I'm working diligently on Novel #2 and have added about 7000 words this week while writing for about 1 to 1.5 hours a day. My writing goal is 1 hour a day, but this week there were so many words and ideas, I just couldn't stop typing! 

My current problems: Nothing's really on my mind this week. Novel #1 is [temporarily] shelved, and the only thing with Novel #2 is that I'm 20000+ words in, and I'm worried that it will be too short, a problem that will remedy itself with time and typing, I'm sure.

Question(s) this week: How to get going in the beginning? Suggestions on ways to start a story?

When I start writing, I usually have one scene in mind. Then I think about what I've written and start asking myself "why?" What's the motivation? Why is the MC alone? What happened to her family/friends? Why is there a cat in her apartment if she doesn't want one? Why doesn't she want it? Why can't she get rid of it? Why is her neighbor so arrogant? What happened to make them dislike each other so much?

I answer these questions mentally, then write the next scene and start the process over again. I find that by asking why, my mind goes crazy coming up with new ideas and concepts.

If that doesn't work, I gave this advice to someone a few weeks ago. If you're stuck, pull out a piece of paper and just start writing words on it. Verbs, nouns, adjectives, whatever pops into your head--write it down. When the page is full, take a few minutes to look over what you wrote and see if any of it seems like it could make a neat scene. It might be the next chapter or one later on in the book, or it might simply spur your creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment