Monday, April 19, 2010

Getting to Know: Chi

I found this on QueryTracker and thought I'd showcase some of the characters from Novel #1 in an attempt to make sure they're different enough from one another. Names have been changed to protect the privacy of the characters, per their requests.
  1. How old are you?  18
  2. If the house burned down, what one thing would you want to take with you?  My medicine book.
  3. Describe your hands.  My hands are smooth, the color of warm honey latte. They are powerful healers, beautiful. I do many wonderful things with these hands.
  4. Describe your nightstand, dresser, or bathroom counter. What’s on top of it? In it?  My nightstand holds my medicine book, a glass of water and a flashlight.
  5. What is your favorite food?  Mmm, my mother's cozido à portuguesa.
  6. Describe your economic/political status.  I was born in South America to American parents. They sent me away to school after my mother decided I was getting too wild for my own good. Currently, I am...well, I suppose you could say I fly under the radar.
  7. Where do you have a scar or birthmark? Describe circumstances surrounding your scars. I have no scars, but I bear the marks of my family, brilliant white scrollwork tattoos from my neck to my wrists.
  8. What is the last book you read? What did you think of it?  Things Fall Apart by Chenua Achebe. It is the current reading material for the students I teach. I find it brilliant and very moving.
  9. Do you have an embarrassing habit?  No, of course not. (Zee:  She's not kidding, either.)
  10. Give one vivid memory of a parent or parental figure.  My mother and father danced together with the other villagers under bright stars. The whole world spun, launching our spirits into the sky to be free for the coming year.
  11. What is a dream (in sleep) you often have?  My great-great-grandmother was a medicine woman, and she comes to me sometimes from the land beyond to impart wisdom and guide my way.
  12. Do you have a lifelong dream or aspiration?  To be of service to mankind.
  13. How do you go to sleep, and how do you wake up? (i.e. position in bed, etc.)  I fall asleep listening to sounds of silence in my swamp and wake up to the chirping of birds and laughter of children.
  14. What is the last thing you wrote?  A lesson plan.
  15. What grosses you out?  Selfish people.
  16. Who is the person you like the least? Why?  Either the Ferraras for trying to kill my best friend or Jay, for being the immature imbecile he always was.
  17. Tell me about the last time you cried.  I do not cry.
  18. What is something you feel guilty about?  Nothing. I learn from my mistakes and move on.
  19. Describe what you do when you look in a mirror.  White-blond hair, caramel skin and sparkling eyes. My tattoos glow from within and undulate under the noonday sun.
  20. Describe yourself sitting in your favorite spot.  My favorite spot is underneath a weeping willow, where I am hidden and find moments of respite from the pain of the poverty surrounding me.
  21. Tell me about a very treasured item. My medicine book was passed to me from my grandmother, who received it from her grandmother.
  22. Do you have a nervous tic or habit?  No, of course not. (Zee:  When she's angry, her dreadlocks writhe like snakes.)
  23. Tell me about your siblings…if you have them.  I have none.
  24. What is your favorite smell?  Saffron and cinnamon...but separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment