Sunday, April 4, 2010

Wannabe Writers #10

Wannabe Writers is a meme created by Sarah of Confessions of the Un-published!

One of my goals right now is to move my literary ambitions out of the box and onto the shelf, by which I mean that I no longer want to ignore how much I enjoy writing. I love the idea of this meme, and I'll quote from Sarah's post here:

I often find myself searching the web for information during my struggles as a new writer. So I wanted to start a place where us future young-adult authors can come together to ask those questions, share our stories, and get feedback.

I'm going to be offline for the day, but I will read your lovely comments and get back to y'all on your blogs ASAP Monday. :-)

Where I am in the writing process:  I gave Novel #1 another round of edits and added about 2000 words to Novel #2. I had something (potentially super amazing) come up, and I dropped everything literary and dove head first into math and science in preparation. Next week, I should be back on track.


My current problems:  Not really any since I didn't write much.


Question(s) this week: How do you know when you're good enough?

I've been struggling with this one a lot. Sometimes, I know when I'm good at stuff. For example, I was in choir for years growing up and won some individual competitions and/or consistently placed in the top 20%. I knew that my voice was above average--not great but better than the average Joe (Jane?). I was also in theater, where I knew I was a terrible actress, not enough to sink a show, but I was always a minor character. I had my moments of glory (namely as Hamlet's mother in one play and a sassy computer in another), but I knew that I would never be great at acting. I wasn't a natural. I was, however, a very good techie so I did that most of the time. Even though I wasn't awesome, I knew exactly how talented I was.

With writing though, I don't know where I stand. Am I good? Bad? Eye-burstingly awful? Do I even have enough talent to bother trying? Should I give up and try and find my forte elsewhere? I did try piano for a while, and that went pretty well...

In the end, it doesn't matter if I'm good or bad or somewhere in between. One, I'm learning with every word I write. Two, I'm doing this for fun. Getting published would be amazing, but if I make that my goal, I will probably be very disappointed.

So...how do you know you're good enough. You don't. Everyone has a different opinion. What's "good enough" for one agent may not be "good enough" for another. It may not be anything personal either; they simply have different tastes. SO...you give it your best shot, send your manuscript to everyone who will read it, decide what you want to change, polish, tighten and then you send it off and hope that it falls into the hands of someone who loves it as much as you do.

4 comments:

  1. Great advice I completly agree. It is all a bit of luck too. I mean you have to send it off to the right person at the right time and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROTFL @ eye-burstingly awful! I have those days too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh God I totally understand how you feel. Writing is a part of me, I can't stop even if I want to and the moments of self doubt are always there...I mostly ten to oscillate between okay and eye-burstingly awful..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that. I need to focus on the "doing this for fun" part. Sometimes I get caught up in the wishing part.

    ReplyDelete