Saturday, April 24, 2010

Wannabe Writers #13

Wannabe Writers is a meme created by Sarah of Confessions of the Un-published!

One of my goals right now is to move my literary ambitions out of the box and onto the shelf, by which I mean that I no longer want to ignore  how   much I enjoy writing. I love the idea of this meme, and I'll quote from Sarah's post here:

I often find myself searching the web for information during my struggles as a new writer.   So I wanted to start a place where us future young-adult authors can come together to  ask those questions, share our stories, and get feedback.


I'm  going to be offline for the day, but I will read your lovely comments and get back to y'all on your blogs ASAP next week. :-)

Where I am in the writing process:  This week was pretty exciting. I was contacted by an agent who read my first 100 words in a contest I entered, and, though I didn't win, they piqued her interest. She asked me to send a query and my first 10 pages so...I did! Of course! :-D I'm pragmatic to a fault at times, and I realize that this probably isn't my break (Who gets agented on the first try???), but I'm excited to see how it turns out. Hopefully I'll get some good feedback on either my query letter or the first section.

Umm...yeah, I spent some time trimming the fat off my query letter (again!). Every time I look at it, I see something else extraneous and chop it off! Of course, after that, I sent it off! While I added a little to Novel #2, I didn't have a whole lot of time to write because I had to take my dad to get stitches after he had a bit of a construction accident...and THEN I spent a day in my very first writer's conference/workshop. It wasn't anything I hadn't already read somewhere, but the vocal presentation of the information was somehow helpful, like it enabled my brain to file away certain things that it couldn't before.

Bottom line--I didn't write as much as I wanted, but I had some other cool writer-y experiences this week.

My current problems:  I'm having serious interest issues. It's not writer's block or a lack of ideas, and if I can get myself to sit down and write, my fingers fly. However, the past few weeks (excuses aside), I've been more interested in reading than reading, which is great for the review section of the blog but not so good for my more serious writing aspirations. What do you do when you're just not interested? 

Question(s) this week:  What do you give up in order to write? 

I was just thinking about this earlier in the week! I give up my reading time, which is, I think, why my brain is rebelling right now. I can either read or write, and finding the balance between the two takes work.

I give up any hope for a normal existence, not that I was particularly normal before I started writing regularly...

I give up sleep on those nights when I'm on fire and going to bed would mean death to a dream.

I give up nice fingernails from banging the tips on the keyboard when I'm too sleepy to type with proper form.

I give up any time I might have to pursue my other hobbies, like playing the piano.

I give up my boredom when I'm waiting at the store or the doctor's office. That's prime plotting time!

I give up my worries. When I write, I'm free.

8 comments:

  1. I agree with Sarah that last one is an amzing quote!

    Anyway I have that all the time when I really like a book. There is no solving it just making a desicion!

    Good job/ luck with the agent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, congrats on peaking an agents interest - that's awesome. And it's not unheard of for people get agents/publishers on their first try so don't knock it til it's all over.

    I struggle all the time with wanting to read instead of write. I think that's okay sometimes though. Every pro in the biz will tell you that you have to read a lot - it helps you be a better writer. I try not to feel to guilty about reading over writing sometimes, but it's a struggle occasionally.

    Great list. I love the last one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh. I'm excited for you too on the agent's feedback! Good luck!

    Wow, that last one sure is true. I could quote you right now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOohhh this is incredibly exciting! It's kind of amazing because I really am excited for you. I love having the support of the book/writing community :) And I really love that last one. It is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited for you and support you whole-heartily!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so awesome! Ooh, good luck with the querying!

    When I'm not interested, I just force myself. For the last stretch of the first draft, I *had* to write 2,000 words a day (every day but Saturdays and sometimes Tuesdays). So I did. Do you have a set word minimum?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the agent interest! I'll keep my fingers crossed that the response is positive. :)

    As for interests, I'm starting to shift them around a bit, but I don't believe in stripping myself bare and becoming a hermit writer. It isn't healthy. Nor do I feel that inspiration has to come in the form of written output. Attending events, reading, participating in writing groups, etc. all have their place and can give a sluggish week a much needed shot in the arm.

    In terms of reading, it really depends on what you're reading. If the titles fill a gap or educate you on the writing practice that's neat. However, if it's merely an escape because you'd rather be doing that then something else, setup a reward system instead.

    ReplyDelete