Friday, May 21, 2010

Reading Habits

I saw this at Inside of a Dog, and I'm borrowing it from Kathy Martin, who borrowed it from Simcha at SFF Chat,  who borrowed it from Floor to Ceiling Books, who got it from The World in the Satin Bag, about books and reading habits. I hope that credited everyone!

Since I'm currently supposed to be packing  moving  mentally exhausted, I don't have time to write a review so I thought I'd present some more "about me" material. Sound good?

Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack:

Sometimes I chew on a Starburst or two, but other than that, no. I used to be able to read and eat breakfast at the same time, but I'm not that talented anymore.

What is your favorite drink while reading?

My favorite drink of all time is Dr Pepper, but if I drink cokes while reading, they go flat because I forget to drink them. So...water.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

The only book I've ever drawn in is Bridget Jones' diary, where I marked the super-funny parts or the bits that my HS best friend and I joked about all the time. In general, writing in books horrifies me.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?

Bookmark, piece of paper, empty gum wrapper...whatever's handy. I used to dog-ear or lay the book down, but that's so bad for the pages and the spine.

Fiction, nonfiction, or both?

Fiction. I went through a historical non-fiction kick in elementary/middle school that I'm still not over.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?

Either the end of a scene or the end of a chapter. Otherwise, I get terribly lost.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?

No! Even if I don't like the book, it should still be treated kindly. Someone else might like to read it.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?

Never! Never have, probably never will. I'm too lazy to stop;  context clues are enough.

What are you currently reading?

The Reluctant Heiress by Eva Ibbotson and The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness [update:  The Agency:  A Spy in the House by Y. S. Lee and The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness]

What is the last book you bought?

The Reluctant Heiress by Eva Ibbotson, A Song for Summer by Eva Ibbotson, Just Listen by Sarah Dessen, Uninvited by Amanda Marrone and The Debs by Susan McBride (it was a big shopping trip!) [update:  Boneshaker by Cherie Priest]

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?

I always read multiple books at a time.

Do you have a favorite time/place to read?

Currently, my bed. I used to a have a little reading nook but new furniture took up that space. Hopefully in my new apartment, I'll have the couch or a comfy chair. [update:  Ha! Well, hopefully I'll have somewhere other than my bed soon!]

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?

I like series because so much more can happen (see:  Vampire Academy, Heather Wells mysteries) but stand alone books are nice too if I want closure (see:  anything by Sarah Dessen)

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?

Lately, I've been recommending The Dark Divine by Bree Despain and Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens. My three favorite authors are Bradbury, Crichton and King, so I promote them a lot too, particularly the latter. If he didn't write horror, he would be more widely recognized as one of the greatest novelists of our time. The Awakening by Kate Chopin gets a lot of talk time from me too.

How do you organize your books?(by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)

They're in alphabetical order by author. Within a particular author, they're in alphabetical order by title, unless it's a series and then it's chronological. To make it even more confusing, I pulled my pretty, newer books out and gave them their own shelves, where they follow the same organization scheme.

4 comments:

  1. I love reading these. I'm similar to you in many of my reading habits except I drink with coffee instead of Dr. Pepper. (Nothing against that soda BTW..)

    Great post.

    ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this one too ;)
    The Dark Divine is awesome! I'm always recommending it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these things! I filled one out... wow, was that in September? Maybe it was. It's interesting to really think over your reading habits because, like all habits, you just DO them. There's not really a rhyme or reason. :D

    ReplyDelete