Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Review of A Season of Eden

He's my teacher. I shouldn't be alone with him. But I can't help that he's irresistible. I let the door silently close at my back. He stared at me, and a taut quiet stretched between us. "I like hearing you play," I said, moving toward him. He turned, in sync with my slow approach. He looked up at me but didn't say anything. I rested my clammy hand on the cold, slick body of the baby grand. "May I?" The muscles in his throat shifted, then he swallowed. "Eden." My knees weakened, like a soft tickling kiss had just been blown against the backs of them. "Is it okay?" I asked. His gaze held mine like two hands joined. He understood what I was really asking. "Let me stay," I said. "Please." "You're going to get me in trouble," he said.
[from Goodreads]
 
Rating:  4 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Teen girls
High point: Emotional depth of Eden
Low point: Lots of awkward moments
Reader maturity: 13+

A Season of Eden explores Eden's relationship with her choir teacher, Mr. Christian. As expected, her infatuation leads to several awkward situations but also some valuable lessons.

As in Jennifer Laurens' novel Heavenly (J. M. Warwick is a pen name), the reader is drawn into the main character so completely, the outside world ceases to exist. In A Season of Eden, this led to some awkwardness for me. I could see what Eden was doing to her teachers with the short skirts and leg crossing, even if she didn't give a second thought to it.

Don't be misled;  Eden is not a shallow girl looking solely for a good time. She wants a real, stable relationship, but since her mother died and her father spends all of his time with his PYT wife, she has no idea how to look for it. Looking for it in her choir teacher, who is not, admittedly, that much older than her, she makes a lot of mistakes, falling into the habits of her past. Unlike before, she doesn't give up; she works for what she wants, even when that means not doing anything but waiting.

[Possible spoiler] Though there are some awkward scenes where the reader's probably going to be yelling at Eden for being naive, nothing inappropriate happens or is insinuated. A Season of Eden is a good, clean book, exploring the lonely life of a lost teenage girl.

Title:  A Season of Eden
Author:  J. M. Warwick
Genre:  Teen Fiction
Year:   2008
Book Source:   Received from author

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book as well because of the controversial topic. What a great point you made about Eden not just solely looking for a good time! She definitely had more depth than I would have expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Thanks bunches for including that little bit at the end, otherwise I doubt I would have picked it up. I'm looking forward to reading this, despite its already evident awkward moments! :D

    (Kudos to the Jennifer Lauren for writing something relatively *clean* for once!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a book that I might enjoy. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete