Monday, May 3, 2010

Wannabe Writers #14

Wannabe Writers is a meme created by Sarah of Confessions of the Un-published!

One of my goals right now is to move my literary ambitions out of the box and onto the shelf, by which I mean that I no longer want to ignore  how   much I enjoy writing. I love the idea of this meme, and I'll quote from Sarah's post here:

I often find myself searching the web for information during my struggles as a new writer.   So I wanted to start a place where us future young-adult authors can come together to  ask those questions, share our stories, and get feedback.


I'm  going to be offline for the day, but I will read your lovely comments and get back to y'all on your blogs ASAP next week. :-)

Where I am in the writing process:  Ugh, I didn't get around to anyone's posts last week; I'm so, so sorry!! There's lots of [good] stuff going on around here, and the internet has been pretty low on my priority list, as has my writing. The one (*1*) night I had time to write, my brain wouldn't work so I didn't get much on [digital] paper. 

On the positive side of things, the agent who requested a query from me asked me for a full. This is, of course, a really positive experience. Even if nothing comes of it, I feel like I'm really doing this writing thing (as if 1.5 novels weren't enough!). I can't wait to get back to a schedule so that I can do some good work again.

My current problems:  Time. There's not really anything I can do about it right now except ride it out. Life should be back to a new normal in 3 or 4 weeks. I'll use the time to figure out where I'm taking my characters next!

Question(s) this week:  What to do to get myself back into writing? What to do to get myself excited about an old story?

I'm really not the person to be giving out writing opinions this week, but I'll try (and keep it short and sweet). :-)

To get back into writing:  It might be helpful to start something new to get creative juices flowing and then switch back to the old story once your brain is on the right track.

To get excited about an old story again:  What made you abandon the story before?
  • Poor writing
  • Dead-end plotline
  • Boring characters
  • Overcomplicated elements (for your writing maturity)
Identify the problem and tackle that. If the writing quality is poor, it might work to use the old MS as an outline and completely start over with the writing.With a dead-end plotline, go back a few chapters and see where it took the lethal turn. Add some spark to your characters.

6 comments:

  1. I've been pushing away from the computer in order to get more work done. Managing time has never been something I've been good at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice!

    Sadly everyone runs into the time issue and there is NO CURE! sorry.

    Good job on the agent progress! that is so exiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I

    would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have

    enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Alena

    http://dataentryjob-s.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also think it's a good idea to toy with a new, exciting idea, as long as you don't get too distracted. ;D

    I wish you luck with the agent! Of course, even if she/he doesn't make an offer, this is a fabulous experience that I hope you'll keep in mind as a confidence booster if you're ever having doubts. I'm sure your a fantastic writer. :D

    Happy week!

    -Madeleine

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing that gets me back to writing is preventing myself from writing anything. It's like the absence makes the heart grow fonder. It drives my Muse insane so when I finally put that notebook in front of me, I destroy all blocks! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really find it helpful to move onto something else with just the thought of the old piece in my mind. It's amazing what sparks an idea or how something will just work itself out when I'm working on something new, but keeping the old stuff in the back of my mind.

    ReplyDelete