Saturday, May 8, 2010

Wannabe Writers #15

Wannabe Writers is a meme created by Sarah of Confessions of the Un-published!

One of my goals right now is to move my literary ambitions out of the box and onto the shelf, by which I mean that I no longer want to ignore  how   much I enjoy writing. I love the idea of this meme, and I'll quote from Sarah's post here:

I often find myself searching the web for information during my struggles as a new writer.   So I wanted to start a place where us future young-adult authors can come together to  ask those questions, share our stories, and get feedback.


I'm  going to be offline for the day, but I will read your lovely comments and get back to y'all on your blogs ASAP next week. :-)

Where I am in the writing process:  I thought I wasn't going to have anything to say here except that I sent off my [requested!] manuscript of Novel #1 to an agent. BUT THEN...due to my impending move, I've been driving from my current home to my new town a lot, which is a sojourn of no small length, and had a lot of time to think up a new plot. I wasn't sure where to find my "point of change," but when I woke up this morning, a beautiful opening line popped into my head and I was off. 

Normally, I'm pretty groggy between washing my face and numbly slathering my toast with peanut butter, but this morning, I was writing furiously. I typed up two pages while eating breakfast and trying to remember which keys my fingers were supposed to touch. Success! I haven't been able to think on Novel #2 properly for weeks, but the floodgates have opened now that I've started a Novel #3. This happened with Novel #1 as well, so I'm guessing that's part of my process.

My current problems:  Err...still time. I'm in the middle of making a major move! My to-do list actually says "breathe" on it right now and has, on occasion, reminded me to do just that when I'm turning a pale blue color. Just a few more weeks, and I'll be back in action!

Question(s) this week:  Would you be disappointed if 5 years from now you still wrote 500 words everyday and weren't published? What then?

I wouldn't be disappointed 5 years from if I didn't write 500 words every day. I love writing--don't get me wrong--but my career, that thing that pays the bills and makes me excited to go to work everyday, is in the sciences. Writing is my creative outlet, like drama and choir were in high school. I don't want to push it and make it a chore. I would LOVE to be published, but first and foremost, that's not why I'm doing it.

BUT, in the spirit of the question--yes, if I wrote 500 words a day for 5 years and actively tried to get published and wasn't able to...I'd be disappointed. Sorely disappointed. I'd probably have a mental hissy fit and give up writing for a while to give me time to calm down. Then, after my feelings recovered sufficiently, I'd pick up my figurative pen and have at it again. I'd try to think of all the things I learned while writing for the 1st five years and apply that to the next five. Maybe I just needed to get the not-so-great stuff out of my system to make room for the great stuff to grow. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the request! That's awesome!

    Writing is my primary focus, but even then, I consider 5 years of writing a very short time for a person to get published in, especially if they haven't done much writing before those 5 years. It takes years and years of writing before most people can even write at a publishable level, much less query and make contacts and learn to sell yourself, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I a have no urge to write

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that you have found an idea you can run with! It's always so much fun to have spurts of inspiration! Tell us how the agent read goes. :D

    Good luck with finding more time and the move.

    -Madeleine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the story idea. You sound like Stephanie Meyers who found the inspiration to Twilight through a dream!

    Good Luck!


    P.S. Don't forget to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright! You have really truly inspired me to stop being a sissy and just start writing again, with this meme. Thanks a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete