Monday, May 24, 2010

Wannabe Writers #17

Wannabe Writers is a meme created by Sarah of Confessions of the Un-published!

One of my goals right now is to move my literary ambitions out of the box and onto the shelf, by which I mean that I no longer want to ignore  how   much I enjoy writing. I love the idea of this meme, and I'll quote from Sarah's post here:

I often find myself searching the web for information during my struggles as a new writer.   So I wanted to start a place where us future young-adult authors can come together to  ask those questions, share our stories, and get feedback.


I've been remiss in commenting the last few weeks, but I'll try my best to visit everyone this week!

Where I am in the writing process:  Working on Novels #2 and #3 in my head.

My current problems:  Time...but as soon as things settle down, finding time shouldn't be a problem.

Question(s) this week:  Do you recommend finishing (and polishing) a novel, even if you know the story would never be strong enough for publication?  To finish just for the sake of finishing or to focus your energies on a better project? 


Yes! Finish the novel! The process of editing and revising is so beneficial. My beta reader for my first novel pointed out [bad] writing habits I have, and I learned where I am as a writer. If I hadn't finished, I wouldn't have realized approximately where my skills fall.

However, I don't necessarily think you should finish every novel. I believe that there will be times that I find a story just doesn't work or I'm not a strong enough writer to tell it, but if I'm at least 1/3 of the way through, I'm going to finish it!

2 comments:

  1. I would recommend finishing it and then putting it aside. You never know if one day in the future you go back to it and can revise it to make it strong enough for publication. The story must be told! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you joined back up! This was only my second week of the meme, and otherwise I might have missed your blog. Thanks for the query tracker link - I'm sure I'll put it to use!

    ReplyDelete