Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Review of The Truth About Forever

Sixteen-year-old Macy Queen is looking forward to a long, boring summer. Her boyfriend is going away. She's stuck with a dull-as-dishwater job at the library. And she'll spend all of her free time studying for the SATs or grieving silently with her mother over her father's recent unexpected death. But everything changes when Macy is corralled into helping out at one of her mother's open house events, and she meets the chaotic Wish Catering crew. Before long, Macy joins the Wish team. She loves everything about, the work and the people. But the best thing about Wish is Wes—artistic, insightful, and understanding Wes—who gets Macy to look at life in a whole new way, and really start living it.
[from Goodreads]
 
Rating:  4.5 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Teens, clean romance readers
High point: The romance and Macy
Low point: Macy's boyfriend
Reader maturity: 13+

The Truth About Forever is the first book I've read by Sarah Dessen, and I was completely blown away. I don't consider myself much of a fan for contemporary non-paranormal YA, especially romance, but I was wrong (at least in this case). As soon as I finished, I jumped online to see how I could get my hands on another of Ms. Dessen's novels ASAP.

Nothing really out of the ordinary happens in The Truth About Forever. It's a book about everyday occurrences and believable coincidences that transform Macy from who she was before and with Jason to who she was without and after Jason. I ached for her as her mother shut her out and demanded perfection. Feeling inadequate is something most readers, young and old, can relate to. Perceived inadequacy does not distinguish between age or origin.

All of the characters in The Truth About Forever are so real, like they were ready to reach out of the pages and draw me in for some fun. Wes and Macy have a firmly rooted relationship, initiated mostly by the game of Truth that they play. Everyone around them can see what's going on, but they can't--and it's completely understandable from Macy's perspective.

The supporting cast--the crew of Wish--are wonderful, weaving an intricate background of support and love for Macy when she desperately needs them the most. Macy grows throughout the novel and leaves a lasting impact on those she knows;  she, in turn, learns from them as well.

The Truth About Forever is beautiful, a long book that seems like a short read. It's funny; it's poignant; it's honest.

Title:  The Truth About Forever
Author:  Sarah Dessen
Genre:  Teen Fiction - Romance & Friendship
Year:   2006
Book Source:  Purchased

8 comments:

  1. This is my favourite book by Sarah Dessen and like you, the first one I read. I'm really glad you loved it.

    I'd also recommend: This Lullaby, Just Listen, and Dreamland although you can't go wrong with any of them in my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just read this book too and liked it okay, especially the supporting characters in the Wish crew...but wasn't fully sold on Wes/Macy's connection. have you read perfect chemistry by simone elkeles? if you liked this you're gonna love that one, i bet!

    ps: love the design of your blog, esp. that awesome image at the top. i am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I've never read a book by Sarah Dessen! Everyone always says how great her books are, and I feel like I'm missing out. Maybe I'll start with this book. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book, and am so glad you felt the same way. I really want to reread it and after reading your review-I may have to pick it up again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorta reading this book right now and am extremely grateful for the review! I'm not sure what to think, due to the fact that I'm at the very beginning. :D

    However, you didn't mention why Macy's boyfriend was the low-point. Could you elaborate?

    (Psst. I heard ALONG FOR THE RIDE is great. And that LOCK AND KEY wasn't far behind. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good catch! I should've included that in the review!
    Jason was controlling and a perfectionist, and he had that knack for manipulating Macy without her realizing it. He also seemed a little flat to me, like he existed only in a book as a 2D character (which obviously he is), but all the other characters seem to pop out of the page, even the mean ones, which makes him seem even flatter. He wasn't someone I could imagine knowing in real life. Mostly though, he's a low point not because of the writing but because I didn't like him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one out there who hasn't tried Sarah Dessen yet (since this is your first). Great review - I'll have to add this to my "read this" list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK. This clenches it. I will read a Sarah Dessen book. Girls at my high school love them and I should know my audience. Thanks for the shove.
    I'm on the book hop 9/10/10
    -Anne
    http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete