Saturday, June 5, 2010

Supernatural Saturday: Review of The Knife of Never Letting Go

Todd Hewitt is the last boy in Prentisstown.

But Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in a constant, overwhelming, never-ending Noise. There is no privacy. There are no secrets.

Or are there?

Just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd unexpectedly stumbles upon a spot of complete silence.

Which is impossible.

Prentisstown has been lying to him.

And now he's going to have to run...

[from Goodreads]
 
Rating:   3.5 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Light sci-fi and fantasy fans
High point:  The premise
Low point:  The teasers
Reader maturity:  13+

The Knife of Never Letting Go is unique, both in plot and execution. The mode of storytelling takes some getting used to. It's in first person, but since all the residents of Prentisstown give off Noise, the protagonist and reader hear a lot of what's going on around them.

The narrator's voice took some getting used to. Todd is a bit of a country bumpkin, and his slang comes through in the descriptions, not just the dialogue. The Knife of Never Letting Go took off slowly, dragging out the exposition and giving out frustrating hints along the way, but the end result was worth it. I wish there had been a few more specific teasers in the opening chapters because instead of being intrigued, I was confused. However, The Knife of Never Letting Go is still a very good read.

I'm usually not a fan of male protagonists, but Todd is engaging and interesting to listen in on. He's very self-aware, but he also comes to realize that he's not as in control of himself as he thinks. His new-found partner, Viola, was by far my favorite though. She's smart, resourceful and not afraid to put Todd in his place if need be. The two teens find a way to make their unlikely friendship work, teaching each other the skills they've been missing.

This is a great book for teen guys and girls alike. It has appeal to both genders and different age groups. There's some swearing sprinkled throughout the book, not enough to make it a turn-off but enough that younger readers should be wary.

Title:  The Knife of Never Letting Go
Author:  Patrick Ness
Genre:  Teen Fiction - Science Fiction
Year:   2008
Book Source:  Won from Presenting Lenore

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for participating in The Saturday Network! :)

    And great review. The premise sounds very intriguing, though I'm not completely sure I could last through the long exposition, lol. I'll definitely keep this in mind though, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checking in from The Saturday Network. I know I'm late, but most of the times I browse blogs for hours :-)
    I have The Knife of Never Letting Go on my shelves and am really curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sound of the name Prentisstown..I have a big list of supernatural themed books that I am looking to buy and I will scout for this one..

    ReplyDelete