Saturday, June 19, 2010

Supernatural Saturday: Review of Uninvited

When rejection comes back to bite you...

Jordan's life sucks. Her boyfriend, Michael, dumped her, slept his way through half the student body, and then killed himself. But now, somehow, he appears at her window every night, begging her to let him in.


Jordan can't understand why he wants her, but she feels her resistance wearing down. After all, her life -- once a broken record of boring parties, meaningless hookups, and friends she couldn't relate to -- now consists of her drinking alone in her room as she waits for the sun to go down.


Michael needs to be invited in before he can enter. All Jordan has to do is say the words....

[from Goodreads]
 
Rating:   2 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Riders on the vampire bandwagon
High point:  The best friends
Low point:  Jordan's mother
Reader maturity:  15+

I'm a sucker (pardon the pun) for vampire novels, so when I found Uninvited, I thought I was in a for a new vampire twist. That much is true, but I was pretty disappointed. While not a waste of time by any means, this is definitely a novel to borrow from the library.

Uninvited follows the life of Jordan as she deals with what to do with Michael, who begs at her window every night for her to let him in...and not much else. I didn't see much character development until the very end, and some of the relationships felt forced and/or choppy. Everything else was inoffensive but mediocre.

The concept is interesting--dead boyfriend comes back to haunt living girl--but I think Uninvited would have benefited from some heavy editing and then insertion into a larger novel, chronicling the "before" of Michael and Jordan's relationship and the "during" of Jordan's fall from grace.

Uninvited isn't the best vampire novel out there, but if you're looking for something vampiric and new, it's worth borrowing for a light weeknight read.

Title:  Uninvited
Author:  Amanda Marrone
Genre:  Teen Fiction -- Horror & Suspense
Year:   2007
Book Source:  Purchased

6 comments:

  1. A very honest review and I am doubtful that I will be even borrowing this one as it doesn't sound worth the bother with so many other great stories out there and so little time to read then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that this one is on the disappointing side. Really appreciated your honest review, and think that I'll skip it as there are so many other great books out there. Hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, I am a fan of the darker vampire books, no the light and fluffy romantic ones so I will probably not pick this one up. Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy a god vamp read...Sounds like a give or take read. I might still give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for participating in The Saturday Network!

    I think I'll pass of this one for now, but thank you for the honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog!!! Stopping by from the blogger hop, now a follower!!

    ReplyDelete