Sunday, June 13, 2010

Wannabe Writers #20

Wannabe Writers is a meme created by Sarah of Confessions of the Un-published!

One of my goals right now is to move my literary ambitions out of the box and onto the shelf, by which I mean that I no longer want to ignore  how   much I enjoy writing. I love the idea of this meme, and I'll quote from Sarah's post here:

I often find myself searching the web for information during my struggles as a new writer.   So I wanted to start a place where us future young-adult authors can come together to  ask those questions, share our stories, and get feedback.

I'm going to be out for the day, but I will read your lovely comments and get back to y'all on your blogs ASAP Monday. :-)

Where I am in the writing process:  I'm in the middle of Novel #2, trying to figure out where it wants to go. It's more of a creative issue than actual writer's block.

My current problems:  None. I'm good. :-)

Question(s) this week:  This week's question was given to me by my blogger-friend Swimmer.  She asked about writer jealousy.  Anybody else currently experiencing it?  (I know I am.)  How do you deal with it?

My level-headed answer is that I use that jealousy to drive me to perfect my own work and use someone else's success as an example that, yes, people like me can be published authors!

On a more emotional level, I'm just...wistful. Jealousy isn't really my thing, but in my wistfulness, I would be tempted to just give up. I allow myself to wallow in self-pity for a minute or two and then stand up, dust myself off and focus on being the best I can.

5 comments:

  1. I bet it feels nice to be on your 2nd novel! I will be there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I experience jealousy for a moment, I think about how each of us view the world. We all view things differently, therefore we write differently. There are hundreds of ways of telling the same story. I have my way and they have theirs. I'm proud as a writer when others get to tell their side. I'll get my turn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a good way to deal with jealousy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advice. I have those creative problems sometimes too and they tend to get more complicated as I get deeper and deeper into a story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same concerning "writer jealousy". I dream and work harder. :D

    Good luck with the writing!

    -Madeleine

    ReplyDelete