Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wannabe Writers #21

Wannabe Writers is a meme created by Sarah of Confessions of the Un-published!

One of my goals right now is to move my literary ambitions out of the box and onto the shelf, by which I mean that I no longer want to ignore  how   much I enjoy writing. I love the idea of this meme, and I'll quote from Sarah's post here:

I often find myself searching the web for information during my struggles as a new writer.   So I wanted to start a place where us future young-adult authors can come together to  ask those questions, share our stories, and get feedback.


Where I am in the writing process:  Let's be honest here:  I haven't written in weeks, and I've finally decided to take the summer off. Any writing I get done between now and September is icing on the cake.

My current problems:  None. I'm good. :-)

Question(s) this week:  Do you carry a writing journal around? Do you believe jotting down the ideas as they come is the best way? I mean if I don't get it all out now will it be lost forever?

I prefer not to write down newly formed ideas. It makes them too concrete and inflexible. I let them simmer in the background for a while as other airy pieces float by. Some stick; some don't. A new plot forms...

I usually write scenes in my head as well. True, they don't always act themselves out on paper like they did in my head, but that's usually a good thing. Usually. I'll admit that I've lost a few zingers that way.

I read somewhere (I think it was a Wannabe Writer) that if the idea disappears, it wasn't worth anything anyway. Good ideas stick around. The original author said it much better than I can, but that's the gist.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Erin! I like to let my ideas simmer as well. I play them over and over in my head to see if its something worthy. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, yours is an interesting take I haven't heard before... letting ideas simmer for a while before jotting them down. Also that if idea isn't something you can remember, it wasn't worth it. I think my old self (before four kids and a full time job) would have agreed, but know I have so many distractions, I'm afraid to trust myself on this aspect anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really interesting way of looking at ideas! I generally only write a splash - a few words - of an idea down so it can still percolate, but so that I can remember it later if I get distracted by family stuff. Since I've been a mom to young boys, this has been necessary because I would forget everything otherwise!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know whose post you're talking about! Or at least I read a post with the same message. Sarah Enni posted a Roadtrip Wednesday post to that effect. :D

    You're taking the summer off? Just watch. You'll miss it so much and have a 10,000 word weekend in mid-July. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that...about letting things simmer. Actually I think I do that way more than I realized.

    ReplyDelete