Thursday, July 8, 2010

Book Blogger Hop 7/9

The Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Crazy for Books so that readers and bloggers can get to know each other a little better.
In Jennifer's words:
This is a weekly event where book bloggers and readers can connect to find new blogs to read.  It's a great way to network with other bloggers and make new friends!  Every day I seem to find another book blog that I start following. In the spirit of the Friday Follow, I thought it would be cool to do a Book Blogger Hop to give us all bookies a chance to connect and find new blogs that we may be missing out on!  It will also give blog readers a chance to find other book blogs that they may not know existed!
So head over to the Blog Hop and have some fun! Thanks for stopping by!

To answer this week's CRAZY question:

My favorite authors in alphabetical order are Ray Bradbury, Kate Chopin, Michael Crichton and Stephen King. For the pretty version, I'm going to refer you to this post because I think my reasons came out pretty lyrically.
  • In a nutshell, Ray Bradbury writes classic literature in a sci-fi setting. I love the twist on the tried-and-true, and I discover something new every time I re-read his stories. Every. Time. That's amazing to me. I discovered him through Fahrenheit 459 but I Sing the Body Electric! is my favorite (and actually I discovered it first, but I had no idea who Ray Bradbury was at the time). Also, we share a birthday so obviously the admiration was meant to be.
  • Kate Chopin was a great feminist author of her time, very pro-women and pro-independence, but since she lived so long ago, her writing doesn't veer into what I would consider radical territory. Basically, she's saying "Women are just as good/responsible/capable as men." The end. She's probably most famous for The Awakening, but her short stories are amazing too; I highly recommend that you read the "other stories" in The Awakening and Other Stories.
  • Michael Crichton...wow. I read (and re-read and RE-read) Jurassic Park looong before I was allowed to see the movie. His books were my first foray into grown-up literature, and they are the standard to which I hold all the others. Timeline is one of my all-time favorites, followed closely by Jurassic Park and The Andromeda Strain.
  • Things that go bump in the night, shivers that crawl up my spine, bugs that go boo! from under the bed--that's why I read Stephen King. I think if he didn't write horror, he would be considered one of the greatest novelists of our time. His writing has a poetic quality to it, and he explores the root of human fears in his writing, giving it an authenticity and an eerily spooky quality. I love The Shining most of all (I love the movie too, but the book is, as usual, infinitely better), and his short stories are great. (I'm beginning to see a trend here...) I also recommend Firestarter and Carrie, especially if you're in the mood for literary camp.

15 comments:

  1. Hopping through! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your book recommendations. I'll check them out.

    I have read The Shining and Firestarter from your list. I enjoyed Firestarter but not The Shining. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Shining is creepy! I'm embarrassed to say it took me a few reads/watches to realize that redrum is murder spelled backwards. Must be the blond in me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you from blog hop! Hop on over to my blog and return the follow! www.novelthoughtsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you through blog hopping! I like your blog. I've linked to you in my blog hop post!! Keep it up! :) I'm going to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blogger Hop Friday, Erin! I love your steampunkish twitter bird! :) You have some great books in your TBR/Wishlist! Most are on mine too! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm visiting because of the blog hop. Great place!

    I'm a follower.

    I'll be hanging around awhile.

    VampAngel
    VampAngel's Dilemma: To Read or Not To Read It? That is The Question

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came over from the hop and became a follower.
    My favorite book my Michael Crichton is Sphere.
    Stop by my blog is you can. Have a great weekend.
    http://2readornot2read-loves2read.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from the hop. I loved The Awakening. Have a great weekend!
    talesandtreats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you on the book hop!

    Nice blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopping on by. I'm also a Ray Bradbury fan --- and I like Stephen King, too (although I like some of his books more than others). :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just hopping by the hop and the follow! Stop by The Wormhole and see what I have been reading! Have a great weekend and Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopping by! Michael Crichton was also my first dip into grown-up literature, my favourites were Sphere and The Andromeda Strain.

    Shan
    http://goodbooksandacupoftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just here blog hopping along :) You review some really interesting books, I'm a follower now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! Stopping by from the hop! Thanks for your recommendations - I know it's blasphemous, but I've never read Stephen King.... *hangs head in shame* Glad to be following you!

    Charlie Quillen

    ReplyDelete