Saturday, July 31, 2010

Supernatural Saturday: Review of Moonlight

I see him and know what this turmoil inside of me means: He's the one. My forever.
Kayla is the nature lover, the all-American beauty who can't understand why she's so drawn to distant, brooding Lucas. Adopted as a young child, she has no way of knowing that she's inherited a terrifying—and thrilling—gene that will change her life forever.
 

Lucas is dangerous, gorgeous...and a werewolf. As leader of the Dark Guardians, shape-shifters who gather deep within the state park, he has sworn to protect his pack. But when Lucas finds his true soul mate, his love could put them all in harm's way.

As Lucas and Kayla struggle with their feelings for each other, a greater danger lurks: Humans have discovered the Dark Guardians and are planning their destruction. Kayla must choose between the life she knows and the love she feels certain is her destiny.

[from Goodreads]
 
Rating:   4 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Teens, anyone wanting a solid paranormal
High point:  The brooding, mysterious Lucas
Low point:  The bad guys
Reader maturity:  13+

Sometimes it's nice to read a book that doesn't shock you, one with no twists and turns and angsty love triangles. This is one of those books. It's good, don't get me wrong, but there isn't anything novel about it...and that's why I enjoyed it so much.

Moonlight is a good, solid werewolf story, told from Kayla's point of view. She's uncertain and scared, excited and intelligent. Lucas is the mysterious one, watching and waiting pensively, all while being cool, collected and undeniably attractive. There are the friends, the rest of the pack, thrown into the mix to round out the story. Then, of course, there are the bad guys. While the rest of the novel is satisfyingly predictable, the bad guys were a little too stereotypical, but somehow it all balances out.

Moonlight was a light, quick read that left me wanting to know more about the Dark Guardians and wishing that I, too, could join their pack. I can't wait to pick up the other novels in the series because, even though they're not anything new, they're still something special.

Title:  Moonlight
Author:  Rachel Hawthorne
Genre:   Contemporary Romance
Year:   2009
Book Source:  Won from Midnight Glance

2 comments:

  1. I have this one on my PBS wish list. Forgot were I am on the list, but I'm closer to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I panned this book when I first read it, largely because the second half crashed and burned pretty hard. Have since read some truly horrid books, however, I'm inclined to look on it a little more charitably. It's lacking in subtlelty and originality, but at least it's fun. I'm working through Full Moon now, and it's a pretty good time so far. Should have a review up by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete