Monday, July 5, 2010

Wannabe Writers #23

Wannabe Writers is a meme created by Sarah of Confessions of the Un-published!

One of my goals right now is to move my literary ambitions out of the box and onto the shelf, by which I mean that I no longer want to ignore  how   much I enjoy writing. I love the idea of this meme, and I'll quote from Sarah's post here:

I often find myself searching the web for information during my struggles as a new writer.   So I wanted to start a place where us future young-adult authors can come together to  ask those questions, share our stories, and get feedback.


Where I am in the writing process:  I was back on summer break this week. :-) I know that I won't be able to write the next two weeks either, which makes me sad, even though I haven't been writing that much anyway.

My current problems:  None. I'm good. :-)

Question(s) this week:  Overcomplicating vs. Undercomplicating.  I'm afraid sub-plots in my novel are going to take the main focus.  How much is too much? 

Well, I have the exact opposite problem. I spend so much time developing the main character and the main storyline that all my little subplots end up like loose threads on a sweater. And boy, are they everywhere! I've been going back and trying to clean them up, but I'm afraid I'm going to forget where some of them are.

Personally, I like novels with several subplots, especially if they all tie together in a unique or meaningful way. On the other hand, having too many subplots can take away from the main plot. As for too much, I'd say if your reader can't tell which one is the main plot, you have too many subplots. In the end, I don't think it can really be pinned down; it all depends on the novel and the plots.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm....I'm not sure if I have a preference to many sub-plots or a fairly simple plot. I've read and enjoyed both. I think the simpler the plot, the more character driven the story needs to be...but that's just my 2 cents. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you're a writer as well as a reader! I think writers always have a slightly different perspective, making everything even more interesting.

    ReplyDelete