Thursday, September 30, 2010

To Recommend or Not to Recommend

I had a friend visit me this past weekend, and she made the mistake of innocently glancing over my bookcase while I was looking up something on IMDB. Of course, being a good little book blogger, I pounced and starting yanking books out right and left, giving synopses and brief reviews and recommending whether to buy or borrow. Her eyes were saucer-huge by the time I took a breath and realized there was no way she was going to remember any of it. I felt a little silly because I sounded just like my reviews--sort of professional-thorough and crazy-random at the same time--in other words, totally different from how I actually speak. (Do my reviews sound that way to you?)

So anyway, I was wondering, how do you deal with recommending books to people? Do you wait until someone asks? If your friends and family know you're a book blogger, do people ask for recommendations? What all information do you give them when you recommend something?

6 comments:

  1. oohhh, great post Erin! You've really got me thinking :)
    Weirdly enough (or not), the way I recommend books on my blog, to fellow bloggers, is pretty different than when I recommend books to real-life people I know. I feel more obligated in real life to think about the people in question, especially if they are kids/teens, and steer them in the direction of clean stuff. I don't know, I guess it's like a mama bear personality...but I'm less likely to do that on the blog, where majority of the people who read the reviews are older and/or really avid readers...if that makes sense.
    Excellent post! I enjoyed thinking about the questions you asked :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont recommend unless asked, I feel like a know it all

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'd recommend anything unless asked. And nobody's really asked, so I haven't found myself in this position!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's actually quite funny, because I was pondering that myself yesterday! There's a guy in my class who reccommends books to EVERYONE! It was nice at first, but now it's getting on my nerves a bit. It's like he's fishing for opportunities to reccommend, and I suppose it makes me feel a bit stupid when he lists up books he thinks I'll like that I haven't read...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recommend all books I love, and I downright campaign for books I love written by authors I know! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday, and for the contest links above :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always cringe when someone asks for a recommendation. Unless I know the person, REALLY, REALLY well, I often don't recommend. If they don't like the book I pick for them, I feel as though I have let them down somehow. I have recommended some books to really close friends/family that have had positive outcomes, which always makes me feel good. Soooo...I guess it depends on the situation. However, I generally don't like to recommend.

    ReplyDelete