Saturday, November 13, 2010

Supernatural Saturday: Review of Shade

Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.

Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding--and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart...and clues to the secret of the Shift.

[from Goodreads]
 
Rating:   2 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Paranormal fans looking for something a little different
High point: The events surrounding the Shades
Low point:  I couldn't get into the story
Reader maturity: 15+

I've been thinking for over a week now about what I'm going to say about Shade. It wasn't that it was a bad book or even an okay book or a so-so book, but...there was something about it that I didn't like.

Things I didn't like:  I couldn't ever get involved in Aura's situation since I found her selfish and obsessive. I thought Logan was a self-centered jerk (which Aura admits frequently, making the excuse of "But that's Logan..." over and over again), and I couldn't even root for Aura to move on with the cute Scottish guy. I did want to know what was up with Stonehenge and Aura's mother, but that was never answered. Those two topics were touched on as a subplot afterthought and left me with very little to care about.

Things I liked:  The characterization of Logan's family is amazing. I could see them all as if I were in the room with them. The events and mysteries surrounding the Shades were well thought out. There are a lot of differences between those who can see Shades and those who can't, and many realistic quirks were subtly thrown in, like the younger generation translating in court or hiding out in the black-boxed bathrooms where the ghosts can't get in.

Overall, I wasn't a fan of Shade, but if you like ghost stories, this might be worth picking up. Be warned--although there's nothing explicit, there are definitely some...lead-ups to some adult scenes. This is not a book for younger YA readers.

Title:  Shade
Author:  Jeri Smith-Ready
Genre:   Fiction - Supernatural
Year:   2010
Book Source:  Won from Pure Imagination

1 comment:

  1. I was the same thing. I wasn't too fond of this one.

    ReplyDelete