Sunday, May 8, 2011

It's a Bad World - Spring Blog Carnival

The It's a Bad World Challenge is being hosted at Miss Remmers' Review. Head on over if you want to check out the full post.

Here's the challenge:
  1. Write a post explaining why you think Dystopian fiction is so addicting. Why is everyone reading it? What does it say about our society that we want to read about WORSE societies? Are there any implications dystopian fiction's popularity has on our own society? What say you!!
  2. What is your favorite dystopian novel to date? Why did you like it? How does it stand apart from all the other countlessly recent dystopian novels? Why would you recommend it above all others in this genre?
Here's my reply:
  1. Is it cheating if I link to my own post? I answered a similar question not too long ago, in a post you can find here. In summary, I think dystopian is addicting because it's an escape, and it's a way to tackle tough issues that exist in real life in an imaginary setting that's much worse than anything we're dealing with. The utter dystopia-ness of the setting/plot--and thus, the extreme differences between the dystopia and our cray world--enables the reader to detach and sort through different thoughts and feelings.
  2. My favorite dystopian novel to date is...Divergent! I feel like I just devoured it, and I know my review didn't do it justice. I'm a critical reviewer, and I still thought it was pure awesome! I liked it because, well, Veronica Roth is an amazing writer, and because the main character, Tris, has qualities that I think everyone can relate to in some way. The premise of all the different factions seems so believable, yet so far away. It's my favorite of the recent books because it's great entertainment, it provides a lot of food for thought and it asks a lot of serious questions without preaching the answers.
What do you think? Why do you read dystopian? What's your favorite dystopian novel?

No comments:

Post a Comment