Saturday, July 9, 2011

Supernatural Saturday: Review of Hexbound

Lily Parker is new to St. Sophia’s School for Girls, but she’s already learned that magic can be your best friend…or your worst enemy.

They say absolute power corrupts absolutely. Turns out, even a little magic can turn you to the dark side. That’s why Lily has to learn how to control her newly discovered paranormal abilities, on top of avoiding the snobs who think they run her school, nursing a crush on a cute sophomore with a big, werewolf-y secret, and fighting the good fight with her best friend Scout as they take on Chicago’s nastiest nightlife—including the tainted magic users known as Reapers.

Then Lily’s invited to a private meeting with Sebastian. He’s hot, powerful, and offering to help her harness the magic flowing in her veins in a way no one else can. He’s also a Reaper. Lily can’t hide her suspicions. But she’ll soon find out that the line between good and evil isn’t always clear…
[from Goodreads]
 
Rating:   4 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience: YA paranormal fans
High point: Lily and Scout
Low point: The quasi-love-triangle and the token mean girls
Reader maturity: 13+

I made sure to treat my copy of Hexbound with more respect than I afforded the first in the series, Firespell. And I was amply rewarded for my efforts.

Hexbound is another fun, adventure-filled romp through Chicago's underworld, this time complete with slimy...oh, wait, I probably shouldn't ruin that for you. It's all awesome though, in the same vein as Firespell, except even better. My complaint with Firespell is that there was so much foundation-building that I got a little weary of it. Hexbound skips right past that part (and really, I mean skips, because I read Firespell not too long ago and it still took me a while to remember/figure out what exactly firespell is. I guess that means that you should really, really read Firespell before you jump into Hexbound.) and throws the reader into the foray, along with Lily, Scout and all the other Adepts.

Though some of the plot points were a little unbelievable and slightly campy/dramatic, that's just the kind of series this is, and Hexbound works the whole boarding school/supernatural underworld/cliques bit with astounding deftness. Lily is, of course, the heroine, and even though she doesn't seem hard-core enough to do half the things she does, it's fun to tag along with her anyway.

As stated above, I didn't like the quasi-love-triangle, and I think I better leave it at that, lest I spoil something for someone (although I was very proud of Lily and one of the boys at the end; thankyouthankyouthankyou for being a level-headed teenage girl, Lily! We need more YA characters with as much common sense as you possess.). The other thing that bugged me was Veronica, aka a Token Mean Girl. And I'll just let that be, as well, because there's only so much one can say about cliche mean girls. On the plus side of this equation, all the other characters are awesome, and it was cool to get to know a little bit more about them while they were learning a lot more about the Dark Elite and while Lily was finding out what her parents are up to.

All in all, Hexbound is an awesome sequel to Firespell, and I'm eagerly awaiting Chloe Neill's next installment!

Title:  Hexbound
Author:  Chloe Neill
Genre:   Teen Fiction - Girls & Young Women
Year:   2011
Book Source:  Purchased

1 comment:

  1. I agree...there was too much world building in Firespell. Hexbound held my attention better. I agree with the quasi-love triangle as well. :)

    ReplyDelete