Saturday, August 27, 2011

Supernatural Saturday: Review of Beastly

I am a beast.
A beast!
Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll, stay this way forever ruined unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly...beastly.
 
[from Goodreads]
 
Rating:   2 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Grown-up fairytale readers
High point:  Being from the Beast's POV
Low point:  Being from the Beast's POV...
Reader maturity: 13+

I should've known--what with the male narrator and all--but due to the recent movie, I thought I'd give Beastly a chance. Unfortunately, it didn't really impress me.

Intrigued by the idea of a modern day take on Beauty and the Beast (which, while not my favorite fairy tale, certainly ranks among the best), it seemed like Beastly would be interesting, seeing as how it's from the Beast's point of view. First off, I thought Adrian (Kyle, post-Beastifying) was a completely unsympathetic character, both before and after his transformation. And the way he traps the girl so he can force her to spend time with him? Despicable, even if her situation was bad to begin with. It's that second point that refused to make way for me to enjoy the rest of the novel. Adrian was a creep before he was Adrian, he was a creep while he was Adrian (using the mirror to check in on all those girls on MySpace--really?!), and actually, I thought he was kinda creepy after he could've gone back to being Kyle.

No one reacted to a boy-turned-beast like I would expect, either. Everyone was so levelheaded that I couldn't believe it, even within the realm of fiction.

Aside from the points I've mentioned, I didn't dislike Beastly; however, it falls into the category of novels that aren't for me.

Title:  Beastly
Author:  Alex Flinn
Genre:   Fiction - Supernatural
Year:   2007
Book Source:  Purchased

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed it a bit more than you - but I really longed for more from Beast. Maybe if there was more focus on the budding mutual relationship between him and Belle like in the movie I would have been totally sucked in. But I did enjoy it and the movie.

    ReplyDelete