Saturday, August 13, 2011

Supernatural Saturday: Review of The Reckoning

Only two weeks ago, life was all too predictable. But that was before I saw my first ghost. Now along with my supernatural friends Tori, Derek, and Simon, I'm on the run from the Edison Group, which genetically altered us as part of their sinister experiment. We're hiding in a safe house that might not be as safe as it seems. We'll be gone soon anyway, back to rescue those we'd left behind and take out the Edison Group . . . or so we hope.
[from Goodreads]
 
Rating:   4 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Anyone who EVER loved ghost stories
High point:  All the plot elements
Low point:  Everything gets campy if you look at it too closely
Reader maturity: 13+



*happy squeal of excitement*

I LOVE the Darkest Powers series and I'm SO sad that it's come to an end, but wow! Kelley Armstrong did a fantastic job sending the series out with a bang! There are so many things that I loved about the conclusion that I'm not sure how to gush properly without spoiling anything, but I'll give it my best shot.

First off, I love Ms. Armstrong's writing. The descriptions, pacing and characters are spot on. And the characters in The Reckoning!! They've been slowly and patiently developed over the series, culminating in a blend of rich histories and complicated relationships. While Tori (one of the superpowerful gifted kids) is hardly my favorite character, I think she's one of the best written ones. Her transformation since book 1 has been startling, believable and complete.

As for complicated relationships, I'm really psyched about the ending! I've been rooting for a certain someone, and fortunately, the series ended the way I'd hoped. That relationship is complicated and messy and (hooray!) doesn't involve anything head-over-heels or love-at-first-sight. It's very real, which I appreciate.

The main character, Chloe, has come a long way since The Summoning as well. She finally found her voice and was able to stand up for herself. There was one particular issue that bothered me a little bit from the first two books, but Chloe comes into her own and makes a situation that could've been detrimental into something really special.

As for the plot, it's a little bit all over the place with emotion and action; it's crazy and filled with conspiracies, just like The Summoning and The Awakening, and all the events culminate in the perfect ending to such a diverse series. In short, I loved it, and even though I'm sad the series is over, I couldn't be happier with the conclusion.

Title:  The Reckoning
Author:  Kelley Armstrong
Genre:   Fiction - Supernatural
Year:   2010
Book Source:  Purchased

2 comments:

  1. I've hardly heard anything about these books, but when you give a review like this, I know a series is something special. I'm adding it to my to-read list right now! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series yet, so I skimmed yoru review. I am really looking forward to reading them. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed them so much! :)

    ReplyDelete