Thursday, September 29, 2011

Contest Craze: Alternate Ending

This is the Alternate Ending Challenge, hosted by The Book Blog Experience and Princess Bookie!

Challenge:  Pick one of your favorite books and write an alternate ending to it. Post it to your blog.

Book:  Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness



Alternate Ending:  If you haven't finished the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness, then don't read any further because I don't want to spoil anything for you. (And while you're not busy reading this post, please, please, please pick up this series! It. Is. AWESOME.)

For those of you who aren't afraid of me spoiling anything, I didn't completely rewrite the ending of Monsters of Men, but I chose to add a little something. The conclusion is ambiguous (but hopeful) and since I like happy endings, I decided that I'd push Viola and Todd to a more certain future.

Here's where Patrick Ness left Todd, life or death uncertain:
"Viola? Keep calling for me--And I'll keep searching for you--And I'll find you--You bet yer life on it--I'll find you--Keep calling for me, Viola--Cuz here I come."

{Viola}

I stare blankly at the wall before me, trying hard to hold onto hope--hope that Todd will wake up, hope that The Sky will lead us true, hope that the Spackle and my people from the spaceship can make peace. The chair creaks with age, the only noise in the almost empty room.

Then quietly, so quietly that I think I must be dreaming, I hear it. It. 

Viola?

The sound is weak but so familiar.

The journal slides out of my lap as I lean forward, brushing my hand over Todd's forehead, praying for things I want so much I can't even find the words.

"Todd? Todd, can you hear me?"

Viola? Are you there?


Todd's Noise hangs in the air between us, and then his eyelids flutter, just a little, so faintly that anyone watching with less intensity would miss it. Eyes locked on his, I will him so hard to wake up I know he has to feel it.

"Viola?"

But this time he says it with his voice.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for participating in my mini- challeng.

    I have never heard of this series before but it looks great! love your ending. I myself and a sucker for happy endings to :)


    good luck!

    ReplyDelete