Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Review of A Long, Long Sleep

Rosalinda Fitzroy has been asleep for sixty-two years when she is woken by a kiss. Locked away in the chemically induced slumber of a stasis tube in a forgotten subbasement, sixteen-year-old Rose slept straight through the Dark Times that killed millions and utterly changed the world she knew. Now, her parents and her first love are long gone, and Rose— hailed upon her awakening as the long-lost heir to an interplanetary empire— is thrust alone into a future in which she is viewed as either a freak or a threat. Desperate to put the past behind her and adapt to her new world, Rose finds herself drawn to the boy who kissed her awake, hoping that he can help her to start fresh. But when a deadly danger jeopardizes her fragile new existence, Rose must face the ghosts of her past with open eyes— or be left without any future at all.
[from Goodreads]
 
Rating:   5 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Anyone who ever read a Bradbury story and thought it was awesome
High point:  The combination of emotion and science fiction
Low point:  Nothing, nothing at all
Reader maturity: 13+

If you love novels that make you think, novels that make you want to cry (just a little) for the main character and novels that have fantasy and action and sci-fi stuff, then you should definitely pick up A Long, Long Sleep.

From the blurb on the back cover, I didn't think I was going to be particularly rah-rah about it, but once I started reading...wow. It reeled me in with the 2nd paragraph and never let go.

A Long, Long Sleep is, among other things, emotionally intense, which is unusual for a science fiction-y novel, but I love the pairing of deep thought with the clinical cold of technology. Most of the book deals with Rose trying to figure out her place in a new world, 62 years after she left hers, but it's so much more than that. A Long, Long Sleep presents several ethical dilemmas, from the technology that got Rose where she is today to genetic research on aliens. One of my favorite topics that was tackled in this novel was Rose's self-esteem and the line between selfishness and self-preservation. It's presented in a very organic manner, and I didn't realize it was a plot point until the very end.

Speaking of plot points, I love a novel that keeps me guessing and surprises me along the way (as long as the surprise is believable, of course). A Long, Long Sleep delivered more than once! I just knew I had figured out who had sent the Plastine assassin (which I won't explain more because I don't want to spoil anything), and I turned out to be totally wrong. Once the real programmer was exposed, I was completely shocked! It changed the way I saw the first 90% of the novel, which was really cool since I was thinking one thing looking forward and another looking back.

A Long, Long Sleep is one of those rare novels that achieves perfection in writing and form, and I can't recommend it strongly enough!

Title:  A Long, Long Sleep
Author:  Anna Sheehan
Genre:   Fiction - Science Fiction, Fantasy
Year:   2011
Book Source:  Received for review from Candlewick Press


Stop by later in the week for a Q&A with Anna Sheehan and a giveaway of A Long, Long Sleep!

7 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard too much about this one, but your review has intrigued me...I love novels that keep me guessing too! I'll have to look for this one,

    Wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really excited for this one. The blurb isn't the best, but everyone has adored it! Really, if the writing is perfection, then I must get this book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this one until this review. It sounds like it will be a good read. I don't remember you giving many 5 out of 5 reviews either, so I'm interested in checking this one out now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like something I would love! Sounds very exciting and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love that you gave it 5 boxes! I can't wait to read it now. Thanks for the review:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like an enchanting read, especially since you gave it 5/5 boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't sure I wanted to read it, but if you liked it that much, I should reconsider.

    ReplyDelete