Saturday, October 29, 2011

Supernatural Saturday Review: Another Faust (Another #1)

One night, in cities all across Europe, five children vanish-only to appear, years later, at an exclusive New York party with a strange and elegant governess. Rumor and mystery follow the Faust teenagers to the city-s most prestigious high school, where they soar to suspicious heights with the help of their benefactor-s extraordinary -gifts.- But as the students claw their way up-reading minds, erasing scenes, stopping time, stealing power, seducing with artificial beauty-they start to suffer the side-effects of their own addictions. And as they make further deals with the devil, they uncover secrets more shocking than their most unforgivable sins. At once chilling and wickedly satirical, this contemporary reimagining of the Faustian bargain is a compelling tale of ambition, consequences, and ultimate redemption.
[from Goodreads]
 
Rating:   3 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Paranormal fans looking for something a little dark and different
High point:  How shocked I was at Madame Vileroy
Low point:  I wasn't invested in any particular character
Reader maturity: 13+

It's rare that I enjoy a book that has absolutely no characters that I like.

It's even more rare that I enjoy a book that leaves me feeling a little bit slimy and gritty.

Another Faust is unlike any book I've ever read. I didn't like a single character and wasn't interested in anyone in particular, but just the same, I wanted to know what happened next. I cringed from the Governess Vileroy and shuddered whenever Victoria's time to steal the spotlight had come. I grimaced when Christian messed up, and I almost closed the book when I found out what Belle had done. Bice was the one redeeming character but she was so dull...or so I thought.

My favorite character (and I can't believe I'm writing this) was the evil Madame Vileroy herself. She's so well-written that, even though I was revolted by what she was doing, I was also impressed at what a smooth operator she was and how cunningly she deceived her crew.

Daniel and Dina Nayeri set Another Faust apart from the usual YA morality tale, by not actually teaching any lessons. I've never read a book that landed so squarely in the middle of an issue. It was interesting to find myself seeing both sides of a never-ending war. Their partnership as authors also results in a novel that has very believable characters. The girls act like girls, and the boys sound like boys (not like girls think boys sound).

If you're looking for something a little darker and less of a fairytale than your average YA fiction, Another Faust is worth a look!

Title:  Another Faust
Author:  Daniel & Dina Nayeri
Genre:   Fiction - Supernatural
Year:   2009
Book Source:  Received for review from Candlewick Press

No comments:

Post a Comment