Saturday, November 12, 2011

Supernatural Saturday Review: Stork

Family secrets. Lost memories. And the arrival of an ancient magical ability that will reveal everything.

Sixteen-year-old Katla LeBlanc has just moved from Los Angeles to Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, Katla soon finds out that she’s a Stork, a member of a mysterious order of women tasked with a very unique duty. But Katla’s biggest challenge may be finding her flock at a new school. Between being ignored by Wade, the arrogant jock she stupidly fooled around with, and constantly arguing with gorgeous farm boy and editor-in-chief Jack, Katla is relieved when her assignment as the school paper’s fashion columnist brings with it some much-needed friendship. But as Homecoming approaches, Katla uncovers a shocking secret about her past — a secret that binds her fate to Jack’s in a way neither could have ever anticipated. With a nod to Hans Christian Andersen and inspired by Norse lore, Wendy Delsol’s debut novel introduces a hip and witty heroine who finds herself tail-feathers deep in small-town life.
[from Goodreads]
 
Rating:   5 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Everyone! Especially if they love paranormal...or contemporary...or love stories...or reading in general...
High point:  Katla's voice
Low point:  Nothing, nothing at all
Reader maturity: 13+

Stork is one of those rare novels that left me feeling both satisfied and happy. Even though it's set in the cold Minnesota fall, Katla brings a lightness and warmth to the pages. Everything about Stork was perfectly chosen and blended together, from the writing to the plot to the characters.

Katla herself is wonderful. She's a pretty average teenager except for the whole Stork thing. I love that she's interested in fashion, but that doesn't make her a bimbo and it doesn't take the place of her having a real personality. She just happens to like fashion, and it just happens to be important to the story. (I'll admit; I cringed during the boot-beating scene...poor boots!) I thought the Stork society would be a bigger part of the story, but I'm glad that we get to know Katla as she's figuring out who she is as a Stork.

The love interest is not only sufficiently swoonworthy, but he also doesn't cause a lot of is-he-or-isn't-he ado about nothing, which I greatly appreciate. He's a complicated character, but not in a dark or melodramatic way. He perfectly complements Katla's sunshine.

There are quite a few little threads of plot running through Stork, but I was never confused. With my favorite thread, I was several chapters in before it dawned on me that maybe a recurring something was actually a thing. I love being teased like that by a plot. There were lots of obvious secrets (as in, it was obvious that they were secrets), and there were several more subtle things woven in for good measure.

In Stork, there's something going on with every turn of the page, whether it be Katla discovering something about her past or trying to avoid Wade or learning about the Stork society. Every sentence, every paragraph, has a purpose, making Stork a very satisfying 350+ pages. And Katla has great voice! I feel like I've read a lot of novels that just blend together, but everything in Stork had Katla's voice stamped on it. I'm not sure how to explain exactly why it stood out, but it's unique--smart, witty and a just a teensy bit self-deprecating.

My [last] favorite thing about Stork [that I'm going to mention] is the ending. Stork is the first in a series, but--thankfully!--it didn't end on a cliffhanger. It was a great ending, tying up loose ends in a logical manner and also filled with action and suspense, and there's plenty of room for a sequel (it's sitting on my shelf, yay!) while still providing closure. As I closed Stork, I actually felt kinda happy, so I guess it's a little bit of a feel-good novel too.

A little bit supernatural, a little bit romantic and a little contemporary, Stork is an enjoyable, satisfying addition to YA literature. I heartily recommend it!

Title:  Stork
Author:  Wendy Delsol
Genre:   Fiction - Supernatural
Year:   2010
Book Source:  Received for review from Candlewick Press

10 comments:

  1. I loved this one, too. I definitely agree with you about Katla's voice - it helped make the book as good as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one, too! Great characters and a unique storyline. I can't wait to read the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds exciting and refreshing. From what you've written in your review, I know I'm going to love the characters, the plot, and the love interest. I'm also really glad that the book doesn't end in a cliffhanger (since all books seem to end that way these days). O cam't wait to check it out! Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't seen either of these books before & they look like GREAT finds!! Thanks for the enthusiastic review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this book yet but I am planning on doing so soon. I have heard good things about this book. Sounds like a book I will enjoy, great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book sounds great! Thanks for the review- I definitely will pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Norse lore. I'll have to check out this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds exciting and I would love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really great. It deals with normal teenage problems on top of extra paranormal problems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From the sounds of your review, Stork sounds like a really really good book. I think I need to get myself a copy.

    ReplyDelete