Saturday, December 31, 2011

Mini-Review of HP and the Deathly Hallows

As the novel begins, Harry, Ron, and Hermione are on the run from Lord Voldemort, whose minions of Death Eaters have not only taken control of the Minister of Magic but have begun to systematically - and forcibly - change the entire culture of the magic community: Muggle-born wizards, for example, are being rounded up and questioned, and all "blood traitors" are being imprisoned. But as Voldemort and his followers ruthlessly pursue the fugitive with the lightning bolt scar on his forehead, Potter finally uncovers the jaw-dropping truth of his existence.
 [from Goodreads]

Rating:  4.5 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience: Muggles of all ages
High point:  The action and suspense
Reader maturity:  13+

 The first time I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, it took me over a year to finish it. This time, it took 3 days (and would've been less than that, except that I had other things I needed to do). I could hardly stand to put it down! There's so much action and so many convoluted plot lines to follow! I really missed out the first time. I really love that Voldemort's demise was a group effort--that Harry, Dumbledore, Ron, Hermione AND Neville (and Crabbe, on accident) all destroyed a Horcrux and that so many people showed up to defend Hogwarts so that Harry would have a chance to finish his task.

I almost hate to admit it, but the movie really brought this book to life for me. Having seen the movie and having the Elder Wand and other Hallows mythology explained really helped me understand what was going on in the book. The Battle of Hogwarts is very confusing, with people running and shooting all over the place and chaos everywhere. Seeing the movie cleared up some of my confusion regarding the timeline, and rereading the book answered some of my questions about Snape and the ownership of the Elder Wand.

The one thing I don't like--and fortunately, it's self-contained so I don't ever have to read it again if I don't want to--is the Epilogue. It just seems so needless to me, and I don't like imagining our heroes as middle-aged parents.

My review can't possibly do this book justice, so I'll just say that's it's brilliant and that J. K. Rowling did a marvelous job providing a satisfying and unpredictable ending.

What did you think of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? If you've reread it, are your thoughts on it different than before you saw the movie/read the rest of the series? Were you pleased with the conclusion?

Title:  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Author:  J. K. Rowling
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Year:  2007
Book Source:  Purchased

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous review! I remember reading this book when it came out. I sped through it so quickly and probably missed a lot of the intricacies of the plotline. I would LOVE to re-read this whole series, actually!

    ReplyDelete