Monday, January 2, 2012

Mini-Reviews of Harry Potter-verse Tomes

I finished my Harry Potter Hiatus a few days early and was feeling a bit sad about leaving Harry Potter and Hogwarts behind when I remembered that I had these textbooks and fairytales tucked away.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander is so cute (though he might not appreciate my use of such an effeminate word). I love how some of the text has popped up in the main Potter books. Harry and Ron and Hermione also left notes in the margins that are a neat glimpse into everyday life at Hogwarts, as well as a fleeting tie-in to the other novels. I can just imagine Hermione frantically flipping its pages in her search for the basilisk. [Goodreads]

Quidditch Through the Ages by Kennilworthy Whisp was instrumental in my understanding of the Quidditch scenes. Before I read it, the tense Quidditch matches of the first two HP novels meant very little to me. As well as the history of Quidditch, it contains funny bits of humor and a few good-hearted jabs at American readers. Quidditch Through the Ages also includes a decent section on why brooms are the wizards' flying vehicle of choice. I only wish I had remembered that last week when I got into a debate with some of my cousins over why British wizards didn't use carpets like their counterparts from the middle east... [Goodreads]

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by Beedle the Bard, translated by Hermione Granger and with commentary by Albus Dumbledore, is amusing with its ability to immerse Muggles in the wizarding world for a little while. Albus Dumbledore's commentary on each story is also quite insightful as to his true nature and that of Britain's other foremost wizarding minds. I'm sure Harry would've found this bit of parchment helpful before he ran all over Britain hunting for Hallows and Horcruxes. [Goodreads]

No comments:

Post a Comment