Saturday, January 28, 2012

Supernatural Saturday Review: After Obsession

Aimee and Alan have secrets. Both teens have unusual pasts and abilities they prefer to keep hidden. But when they meet each other, in a cold Maine town, they can't stop their secrets from spilling out. Strange things have been happening lately, and they both feel that something-or someone- is haunting them. They're wrong. Despite their unusual history and powers, it's neither Aimee nor Alan who is truly haunted. It's Alan's cousin Courtney who, in a desperate plea to find her missing father, has invited a demon into her life-and into her body. Only together can Aimee and Alan exorcise the ghost. And they have to move quickly, before it devours not just Courtney but everything around her.

[from Goodreads]
 
Rating:   2 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Paranormal YA fans
High point:  The scene with Aimee searching on the river
Low point:  It didn't pull me in
Reader maturity: 15+

I thought (and was hoping) that After Obsession would scare the daylights out of me, like Nancy Holder's Possessions. Mostly though, I was bored and more than a little irritated. The novel held so much promise, from the angry/scary river...thing and the supernatural storms, but it all fell flat to me. I almost didn't finish, but I did want to find out what happened so I guess it hooked me at least a little bit.

Part of my dislike, I'm sure stems from Alan as the narrator. The POV switches between Aimee and Alan, and I definitely liked Aimee's portions better. As a character, though, Aimee didn't have much of a personality to me; she's too perfect and perky and pensive at the same time. The supporting characters also felt more like props rather than actual family and friends.

On the plus side, there's one scene in particular that stands out in my memory as being awesome. Aimee's in the river, searching for a missing person. There's a lot of great physical and emotional tension that really comes through, and Aimee's father finally shows some feeling.

Basically, this wasn't the book for me, but if you like paranormal YA, it might be worth your while to check it out.

Title:  After Obsession
Author:   Carrie Jones and Steven E. Wedel
Genre:   Fiction - Supernatural
Year:   2011
Book Source:  Won an ARC from Babbling Flow

No comments:

Post a Comment