Saturday, March 3, 2012

Supernatural Saturday Review: Carrier of the Mark

From the moment she sets foot at her new school in Ireland, Megan is inexplicably drawn to the darkly handsome Adam DeRis. But Megan soon discovers that her feelings for Adam are tied to a supernatural fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that unites them could be their ultimate destruction.
[from Goodreads]
   
Rating:   2 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:Sparkly vampire fans looking to branch out to other mythological creatures
High point: The cover
Low point: Megan and Adam's relationship
Reader maturity: 13+

You would think that as a book blogger, I would learn to more frequently look past the allure of a beautiful cover and pay attention to my fellow readers' reviews. Due to my own oversight, Carrier of the Mark was already in my possession--paid for with my own hard-earned money--before I noticed the comments remarking on the similarity between this book and a particular one involving sparkly vampires.

My two main complaints are that Megan and Adam "fell in love" almost at first sight, and they're willing to risk the fate of thousands so that they don't have to be separated. Additionally, the romantic Irish setting turned out to be a nominal mention of location combined with names unfamiliar to an American tongue. The characters spoke like American teenagers with American slang. Along with the cover, part of my drive to read this novel rode on the promise of the Irish landscape; I was sorely disappointed.

The things I've mentioned are merely personal preferences but by aversion was strong enough that those issues clouded the other aspects of the novel. Others may enjoy Carrier of the Mark, but my vision was too clouded to see beyond my critiques.

Title:  Carrier of the Mark
Author:  Leigh Fallon
Genre:   Fiction - Paranormal
Year:   2011
Book Source:  Purchased

1 comment:

  1. You are so right about this book. I'm glad that I didn't bought it, but just lend it, because it was not what I like.. I fell in love with the cover and I saw that many people complained about it, but I wanted to read it anyway. And now I want to read the next one, just to find out what will happen. Arrg, that's the most stupid thing about these books. I don't really love them, but I still want to find out what happens next.

    ReplyDelete