Saturday, March 10, 2012

Supernatural Saturday Review: My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers #2)

When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies.

So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn't wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can't cry for someone who has no soul.

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad's ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend's loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld—a consequence they can't possibly understand.
Kaylee can't let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk….
[from Goodreads]
   
Rating:   2.5 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Paranormal fans, anyone hiding bean sidhe secrets 
High point:  Banshees are unusual in the YA genre 
Low point:   Insta-love!
Reader maturity: 13+

My Soul to Save was the expected sequel to My Soul to Take and left me yearning, again, for the story that almost was. Due to a greater inclusion of Tod in this portion of Kaylee's tale, the potential was realized to a greater extent than in the first novel. Tod (ironically, a reaper) brings heart to the novel and elicits a deeper, more thoughtful Kaylee than does his brother (and Kaylee's boyfriend), Nash.

My main complaint--and I'm sure you'll ALL be surprised by this--is the relationship between Kaylee and Nash. (Teensy spoiler alert:  can you see that itty bitty blurb up there on the cover? I'm not a fan of that series, so I can't say for sure, but I'll bet Kirkus Reviews is right.) There are also some, erm, steamy scenes that made me uncomfortable enough to skip through as much as I could. And the most aggravating thing? They were a completely unnecessary addition.

As for Nash-by-himself (as opposed to Kaylee-and-Nash), I have a baaad feeling about him, but I can't tell if the novel is written that way on purpose or if I'm just imagining it. He's just...too perfect, y'know? That never bodes well for the heroine...

Tod's still my favorite, but he did something particularly heinous that disappointed me at first, until I realized that this sets him up for redemption and as a possible claimant to Kaylee's heart (if Nash turns to be the wolf in sheep's clothing that I suspect he is). I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Title:  My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers #2)
Author:  Rachel Vincent
Genre:   Fiction - Paranormal
Year:   2009
Book Source:  Won from I Like These Books

1 comment:

  1. It seems like people either love or hate this series. I haven't had enough motivation to read them yet, though I do have the first few books of the series. Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete