Saturday, March 31, 2012

Supernatural Saturday Review: My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers #3)

Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them.
 
Until something does.
 
Demon breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends--one of whom is already hooked.
 
And so is someone else...
[from Goodreads]
   
Rating:   2.5 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Paranormal fans, anyone hiding bean sidhe secrets 
High point:  Banshees are unusual in the YA genre 
Low point:   Insta-love!
Reader maturity: 13+

Ahahaha! I was right about Nash! Do I have uncanny, superhuman-reader-sleuth abilities or what? And I don't care what was causing it--that only amplifies what was already there. During the first part of My Soul to Keep, I finally gained a little respect for Kaylee, once I discovered that she could, in fact, say no. And she was a lot nicer to Tod this time around.

But as the story wore on...Kaylee really ticked me off. Perhaps I'm unsympathetic, but she should have involved Nash's mom and her dad from the beginning. Every time she was in a scene with one of them, I hoped that she'd finally get some adult help, but she kept hiding the Demon Breath secret, at first innocently but then intentionally, which was not only dumb but had serious consequences for those around her.

Another thing that bugged me was that Kaylee let Nash control and manipulate her on multiple occasions and then gave up being mad to feel sorry for him. It's great that she's not holding a grudge, but he needs to be held accountable for his actions. And she needs to stop keeping secrets! So while there was something potentially satisfying at the end, it was overshadowed by the weaker points of Kaylee's personality.

Will I read the next book in the series? Yeah, if it lands on my bookshelf. Will I seek it out? Probably not. This series doesn't quite fit my reading style.

Title:  My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers #3)
Author:  Rachel Vincent
Genre:   Fiction - Paranormal
Year:   2010
Book Source:  Won from I Like These Books

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! i think I'm with you... I don't like it when there are weak willed women. Nice review! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete