Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Review of Inside Out (Insider #1)

Keep Your Head Down.
Don't Get Noticed.
Or Else.


I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.
[from Goodreads]
   
Rating:  3 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  Dystopian readers
High point:  Trella's evolution
Low point:  The confusing descriptions of Inside
Reader maturity: 13+

Initially, Inside Out disappointed me. I was expecting a strong, girl-power-wielding character with whom I could relate, and instead I got Trella--selfish, conceited, holier-than-thou Trella. But just as Trella realized she'd misjudged her fellow scrubs, I realized I had misjudged Trella.

My misgivings about Inside Out concern more than just Trella. I found the descriptions of the layouts and lifestyles Inside complicated and confusing. Fortunately, the plot alone is enough to carry the novel, and fortunately for the continuation of the series, Trella learns a few lessons that make her a more bearable human being. The rules of Inside still don't make sense to me (or at least the origins of Uppers and scrubs and their lack of reproductive rights) but I'm hoping that will be further explained in Outside In.

While it wasn't what I was expecting and didn't quite live up to my expectations, Inside Out was a fun read that left me eager for more and glad that I have Outside In waiting on my shelf.

Title:  Inside Out (Insider #1)
Author:  Maria V. Snyder
Genre:   Fiction - Dystopian
Year:   2010
Book Source:  Purchased

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book. I don't remember being confused about things, but it was kind of a weird culture. I liked that is was something different for Snyder.

    ReplyDelete