Saturday, July 14, 2012

Supernatural Saturday Review: Falling Under

Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.
[from Goodreads]
   
Rating:  1 out of 5 boxes
Target Audience:  N/A
High point:  N/A
Low point:  N/A
Reader maturity: 15+

I didn't realize that this was a book with demons. I thought, from the cover and description, that it was about vampires. That misunderstanding, combined with the insta-love and "perfect"-type love interest would have made this a DNF (since, based on the paranormal creature, it's not my kind of book), except that I'm taking part in a challenge to read 100+ books this year. So I finished it anyway.

I think I summed it up pretty well above, but to expand a little bit, insta-love is one of my literary pet peeves. I don't understand the appeal of a character who falls in a love with a guy just because...He's there? He's attractive? He's dangerous? Theia didn't seem to care.

Haden was supposed to be dark perfection, but I found him grandiose and melodramatic. I didn't understand Theia's attraction to him, and their whole relationship, if it can be called that, was dysfunctional, if not emotionally harmful.

In short, due to the demon thing, this isn't a series I care to continue..

Title:  Falling Under
Author:  Gwen Hayes
Genre:   Fiction - Paranormal
Year:   2011
Book Source:  Borrowed from library

3 comments:

  1. At least the cover looks good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's a great cover. I love the splash of red across the black roses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started reading it, but haven't finished. I like the writing style which I thought was kind of lyrical. I need to read more to understand the demon boy's motivation. I understand your point, though. So far, I'm not NOT liking it, if that makes sense...lol..

    ReplyDelete